Monday, July 30, 2012

Bead Street Expansion

You may be wondering what this photo is all about.  This blog, after all should be about beading.  Well, all those little boxes are beads.



 I hurt my back earlier this year.  It really wasn't my back - more of the muscle across my hips - but pain is still pain.  The doctor said it would take about a year to heal - that is,  if I don't injure it again.  Unfortunately, every time another shipment comes in - I run the risk of hurting myself again.

With over 1000 colors of size 11/0 seedbeads at approximately 1/4 kilo each (about a half a pound) - that's 500 pounds of seedbeads.  And then there are almost 600 colors of size 8/0 seedbeads, 450 colors of size 6/0 seedbeads, Cubes in 4mm, 3mm, 1.8mm and 1.5mm sizes.  Can't forget the Drops, Hexs, Triangles (in three sizes), Peanuts, Twins and SuperDuos.  Then there is the Czech glass - where each box is somewhere between 50 and 60 pounds.  Okay. I have to stop now - my head also hurts. 

So, a new warehouse is in the construction stage.  Tables are set, some beads are organized, slat wall has arrived and scheduled for installation, and more lighting will be added.  The good news for me is that I won't have to lift boxes off the floor anymore.  The good news for Bead Street customers is that I now have room to have a significant back stock of seedbeads and Czech glass.  Which means if we are out of something at the store - it will only take a day to restock. 

Twenty eight years ago I started this business so I could travel the world in search of treasures.  Who knew that at age 66, I would be a warehouse manager.  What's wrong with this picture?   I'll post more photos when there is something prettier to see than cardboard boxes.  Thanks for reading, Eileen

No comments: